Monday, January 2, 2012

Seven Weeks.



















Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve were days I never intended to diet, so is it any surprise this week's weight loss total is a big zero?

Even so, the weight may have started and ended at 203, I saw 200 on the morning of the 31st. So Happy New Year to me!

Fast forward a couple of days later, and it looks like water weight is also showing up for the party, and the causes of this are confusing.

In my experience, any time water weight shows up on the scale, it begins the insidious process of derailing my diet, due to the upward trend of numbers on the scale, or even a standstill for a period of time.

Why the slowdown or uptick? After some looking around for valid solutions, I see different reasons listed, but no real proof. Some blame cortisol. Some blame hormones. Some blame tired adrenals. Some accusations include food allergies, sodium intake, dehydration, exercise level, and overall systemic health. Some just plain say it's your body taking a break. I see it more as a panic move, designed to keep the fat just where you deposited it. So it throws a few curves in there, one of them being bloat.

What to do about it? There is a bunch of information on the interwebs about how to shed water weight. Diuretics, more water, more exercise, less salt, no salt, no carbs, no wheat, more exercise, and the old standby: see your doctor.

The thing is, it'll probably go away by itself, unless it really is health related. Then by all means, the solution is to go see a doctor. Personally, I just need to wait it out, but over 3 pounds of water weight is annoying. It's hiding my efforts, and over time, will sabotage my commitment to the diet.

So... I'll drink more water, eat less salt, cut out some carbs, and sit down to wait it out. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment