Monday, February 6, 2012

Twelve Weeks.


Since figuring out that my vertigo was not going to go away by itself and making several doctor appointments, I finally got the treatment designed to put things right. Unfortunately, it gave me a migraine. I've long since learned everything has a cost.

During the last few weeks in order to control my vertigo symptoms I used an antihistamine, but it had an unintended consequence: I gained weight. It wasn't supposed to do that, but it did. Seems antihistamines are unoffficial weight gain culprits. It's not a well-known side effect, and I don't believe the makers of any antihistamine are going to admit your efforts at weight loss will slow down and reverse, but that's exactly what happened. I wasn't the only one affected. I scoured the internet (a research tool I may overuse at times), and looked at comments that people made. Many have confirmed the suspicion I had that antihistamines do in fact, have this unintended consequence. Unfortunately I still needed it, as it was suppressing my vertigo symptoms, so I didn't want to stop using it until I could have the Epley Maneuver done to get rid of the spins for good.

The first doc I saw regarding the vertigo gave me a nasal spray. Fine. I'll use the nasal spray to combat the spins. But I saw within days my weight really started creeping upwards. I did more research: the spray is a corticosteroid. And what do steroids do? They make you gain weight!!

I had to make a decision once I undid an entire month's worth of potential weight loss. I stopped both drugs. Enough was enough. On Tuesday, Jan 31, I was 200, the same as New Year's Eve. I understand it was water weight, but it was not only masking the weight I had already shed, it literally stopped my diet from working. Not acceptable. I have since dropped four pounds in less than a week, and weighed in today at 196.

Now I have to undo the gluttony from Superbowl day. Hmmm... maybe I'll go to the gym...

No comments:

Post a Comment